JAKARTA, June 20 (JDN.id) – Indonesian government through the Transport Ministry will audit safety standard of boats that are operating in Lake Toba in North Sumatra, following a passenger ferry accident on Monday, officials said on Wednesday.
Number of passenger who were on board Sinar Bangun ferry when the boat sank on Monday is still unknown because no travel manifest was provided.
According to the national disaster mitigation agency (BNPB) data on Wednesday, at least 192 people are reportedly missing. Previously, the agency said there were 80 people on board during the accident, however the number of passengers keep upgraded based on report from victims’ families.
watch Authorities commit to work hard to find the victims in which search and rescue operation to be held for a week and possible additional three days if necessary, Transport Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said. The national search and rescue agency (Basarnas) will lead the operation.
“We plan to fix and reform existing regulations,” Sumadi said, adding that an investigation will be taken towards involved parties to find whether any violation of safety regulations or not that will be led by the national transportation safety committee (KNKT).
go to site Transport ministry will distribute 5,000 life jackets to all passenger boat operators that are operated in five ports – Ambarita, Ajibata, Simanindo, Tigaras and Muara – in Lake Toba to improve transport safety standard.
When the search and rescue operation is taking place to find victims, all boats are required to halt its operation while the government doing its safety audit. Two government boats to serve public transport in Lake Toba during the period.
“Up to now, no boat is allowed to sail until its safety aspect to be fulfilled,” the minister said, added that the decision was made following the agreement with 40 boat operators that are operating in five ports in Lake Toba.
Besides transport safety standard, the authority will do ramp check of those boats as well as to ensure the operators to provide boat manifest before each vessel depart from a port, Budi Setyadi, director general of land transport at the ministry said on Wednesday.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo, well-known as Jokowi, said the government will give compensation to the victims and their families.
“I also ask the transport ministry and its regional offices to do routine check to ensure security and safety of passengers,” President Jokowi said on Wednesday.
Up to 2.30 pm 4 bodies and 18 survivors were found. Some bodies have been found more than 3 km away from the place where the boat sank said Muhammad Syaugi, head of Basarnas.